Friday, March 16, 2012

We Made It To KK

Hello Everyone -- We made it to Kota Kinabalu about 6:30 pm on March 15.  We spent the night of the 14th in Singapore at the mission home.  It is really a pretty place.  Singapore is a very very pretty city.  It is so clean and beautiful.  I would love to go back and spend some time sight seeing.  Wicked is playing so maybe we will take some extra time and go and take in a performance.

KK is a lot different than what I had imagined.  The population here is between 400-500 thousand people.  There are crazy drivers and people everywhere.  I am glad that Elder Larson knows how to get around because it scares me to death everytime we go out in the car.  I guess we will be buying the Larson's car but I'm not sure I'll ever want to drive.  They drive on the opposite side of the road and I'm constantly ducking and screaming thinking we are going to be killed.

Our apartment in Radiant Towers is a nice apartment.  It has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a small kitchen and a living room/dining room combination.  I will try and take pictures to send you.  The view from the windows is very nice.  We can see the South China Sea and the Mountains.  We are on the 14th floor but over here they don't like the number four so they kind of skip those floors.  We punch floor 13A to get to our floor.

The weather hasn't been too terribly bad.  It was very nice in Singapore, not too hot at all.  It hasn't been too bad here in KK either.  Of course we go from our air conditioned apartment to an air conditioned car and then to air conditioned buildings, so we are doing pretty well.

Today the Larson's showed us how to get around and which stores to shop at.  I can't figure where in the heck we ever are.  I think we just go around in circles but somehow we end up where we need to be.  They don't put up street names so you just have to go by landmarks.

We haven't suffered too much with jet lag.  By the time we got to Singapore we had been up for about 36 to 40 hours.  When we got to the mission home we were having our passports copied when I discovered I had left mine at the Singapore airport.  I was so worried and upset.  We hurried back over and the people at the information desk had it.  Some kind soul had turned it in.  I was so relieved.  A very tender mercy from Heavenly Father.  We turned in early for bed, about 6:30 pm and just died.  We woke up at the time we usually wake up, 5:00 am, and went for a walk around the mission home grounds.  Then it was time to leave for the airport at 12:00 noon and then on to KK.

Tonight is the RS Birthday dinner for the two KK branches.  Sis Larson and I are going.  I'm not sure what the two Elders will be doing while we are gone.  The meeting house is a very nice one.  A different floor plan.  The chapel doubles as an activity room.  I know we are having cake tonight because Sis. Larson had to pick up a cake for it.  I'm not sure what else we are having.  I'll let you all know later because I'm sure you won't be able to rest until you know what we had for the RS birthday.

I am now going to try and attach some pictures.  If you see them then you will know I did it -- if you don't see them, well then you'll know I'm dumb and don't know quite how to do it yet.

Please let us hear from you.  We want to know what is going on in your lives.  We love you all.
Our arrival in KK.  Elder Larson, Elder Read, Sis. Read and Sis. Larson

This is the building where we spent the night in Singapore.  Our bedroom was on the upper left corner.  This house was once owned by a Chinese biggie and he kept his concubines here.

This the house where the Chinese biggie himself lived.  It is front of the concubine house.  The church bought it  several years ago.  It now has two chapels in it.  The concubine house is behind.

This is our arrival in Singapore after having been up for about 36 hours + straight.  Don't we look intelligent?

The Three Beauts at the airport.  Don't you wish you could have been born a Beaut?


  1. So glad you made it safely with passport in hand for your next flight. We love the pictures and news! Can you please email us your address so we can get some real mail to you? I've heard that it's easy to drive on the wrong side of the road once you get the hang of it (I don't know how long it takes to get the hang of it). God bless you!!

  2. Glad you arrived safely, and the part about the concubine's cracked me up. I added a link to your blog from mine so my mom could have easier access. Hopefully all the landmarks will become familiar soon, or you will get extra driving practice!! and how tall is that Elder Larson? holy cow he must tower over all the locals

  3. Margaret..uh sister Read... you crack me up! I thought about you guys all day on Tuesday and wondered if you got any rest on that incredibly long flight! I figured you got to Singapore about 3:45 PM our time. When I figured that out, I pretty much gave up hope of ever visiting Singapore. :) Love to hear from you and would love to have your physical address as well. I'll try and keep the blog updated more often now. Much love!!

  4. We loved your pictures. We thought about you all day on the 13th wondering how it was to miss that entire day. What a long flight. Glad to see you there and at least having cake to eat. Good Luck! We're thinking and praying for you.